Ignatious_Bonferior

All Purpose Thread.

11,770 posts in this topic

There is an awesome video on Instagram of Duchene singing Friends In Low Places the night before his wedding. If I knew how to save an insta video and post if here I would so do it. 

Friends In Low Places? Hey, that's his (former?) teammates...

Not a lot of lateral training happening in those clips. Not really testing that groin yet? I guess it's hard to say from that small sample of training, but I'm still not optimistic.

And if Duchene doesn’t come back? Well, then I can rest assured that I got a top-four D-man in return for him

Because we do the best trades (in recent history). You wouldn't believe the trades we do. They're tremendous. Believe me.

I rest assured.    well maybe not ured

/s

Now where's the tylenol...

A very long but interesting article on Yakupov. 

http://bsndenver.com/longform-understanding-nail-yakupov-and-his-fit-with-the-avs/

Goes through his career stats and takes an in depth look at what he has to offer us and how he might fit into our roster next season. I'll be interesting to see if it works. With very little invested, tremendous potential, it's hard not to root for the guy.

1 hour ago, 1bauhaus1 said:

A very long but interesting article on Yakupov. 

http://bsndenver.com/longform-understanding-nail-yakupov-and-his-fit-with-the-avs/

Goes through his career stats and takes an in depth look at what he has to offer us and how he might fit into our roster next season. I'll be interesting to see if it works. With very little invested, tremendous potential, it's hard not to root for the guy.

For a counter-argument about rooting for Yakupov, I had to go dig up a post from an old board member, smurfinablender (a resident of Oklahoma City):

Met him at a team meet-and-greet when he was in OKC during the lockout. It was a cocktail thing where the players were supposed to meet with local corporate sponsors and my company sent me as a representative which was awesome. All the players showed up in suits except Nail who came in jeans and a T-shirt. A group of them were talking and I walked over and said "Thank you guys for playing here in Oklahoma City, it's the closest we'll get to a full NHL team and we really appreciate you" to which Nail stepped in front of me and began joking about something to awkward laughs from the other guys.

So no. I'm not excited about him being on the Avs. The guy is toxic, self-absorbed and has little respect for fans, the organization that employs him and the game as a whole. As far as I'm concerned, he can limp back to Russia with his tail between his legs because I only want players on the Avs who play for the name on the front and not the one on the back (though tbh he doesn't play very well for the name on the back either).

Yeah, that's just one anecdote from several years ago, but it doesn't exactly paint the portrait of a guy I'm excited to have on the Avs. At best, I'll give him some benefit of the doubt that he was young and stupid (like most of us were when we were younger), and maybe he's matured since then. But considering his lack of progress at the NHL level, I don't think he's matured enough. His raw talent is undeniable. There's a reason he was drafted 1st overall. But there's also a reason that few in the hockey community were surprised when he didn't pan out in the NHL. He's definitely got some issues, and after all this time I don't think he'll suddenly work them out while playing for the Avs. 

It's just not a great sign when the best thing you can say about a signing is "well at least we didn't risk very much".

3 hours ago, biomag said:

First time I read your post I understood that Nieto, Zads and Rocco HAD left :wacko: Well, at least that didn't happen :D

Hah...Whoops!  Yeah, that would be tragic. :blink:

20 hours ago, biomag said:

First time I read your post I understood that Nieto, Zads and Rocco HAD left :wacko: Well, at least that didn't happen :D

Not yet anyway, but that doors closing faster and faster

9 minutes ago, grizzlygoalie said:

Not yet anyway, but that doors closing faster and faster

How do you figure that? They are RFAs. Their options are pretty limited now that they've received their QO. Nieto was the only one to file for arbitration. Zadorov might play in Russia, but that's probably the end of his NHL career if he chooses to do that, so does he really want to close that door already? Grimaldi would probably just be happy with a contract of any sort considering his lack of NHL experience (and an undersized 24 year old forward is something we can probably afford to lose anyway). The Avs have the cap space to sign these guys to short term deals if that's what needs to happen. So, I really don't see a reason to worry.

2 hours ago, Avaholic03 said:

How do you figure that? They are RFAs. Their options are pretty limited now that they've received their QO. Nieto was the only one to file for arbitration. Zadorov might play in Russia, but that's probably the end of his NHL career if he chooses to do that, so does he really want to close that door already? Grimaldi would probably just be happy with a contract of any sort considering his lack of NHL experience (and an undersized 24 year old forward is something we can probably afford to lose anyway). The Avs have the cap space to sign these guys to short term deals if that's what needs to happen. So, I really don't see a reason to worry.

Some have more options than others.

Nieto - arbitration. This means there is plenty of time for a deal to be made. An offer sheet can't be submitted at this time and even if it goes all the way to arbitration, the Avs will accept the terms set by the arbiter. Nieto will get a raise of some sort and he'll be an Av for another year or two at the least.

Grimaldi - He might try and hold out for more money but he doesn't have much in the way of negotiating power. He has potential but nothing proved at this point. And let's be honest, no other team is going to offer sheet him. I fully expect him to make a deal and he'll have some opportunities to prove he's NHL caliber.

Zadorov - He might be a little trickier. Yes he's an RFA but if he doesn't get the right amount of money from us, I can easily see this turning into another O'Reilly situation. Why would another team not offer sheet him? He's been quoted as saying he wants to play in the NHL. IMO, Zadorov has the most options and highest negotiating power. If we lose him, we all but lose the trade, unless by some miracle both Bigras and Compher (or the other 2) pan out. 

Which means if an offer sheet is presented, we'll almost have to accept which will start the exact process we went through with Factor all over again. Or, he may decide to go back to Russia. Look at Radulov. He's cashing in pretty well right now. Z is young enough that going back to Russia won't hurt his chances that much from returning. I could be wrong but I have a feeling we'll have to over pay to keep Zadorov on our roster next season and possibly into the future.

Radulov is one of the few going to the KHL and then return to the NHL again. Yes, there's also Jagr, but Jagr is Jagr....

1 hour ago, DJ_Sonne said:

Radulov is one of the few going to the KHL and then return to the NHL again. Yes, there's also Jagr, but Jagr is Jagr....

I think Sobotka for the Blues did that.