Ignatious_Bonferior

All Purpose Thread.

12,694 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

MHH reporting that Timmins is expected to sign his ELC soon. Unlikely to play NHL time this season though. He should be a crucial part of his junior team's long playoff run. 

Guess I should credit BSN. They are mighty upset and insisting MHH lifted their scoop which I wouldn't doubt. 

9 hours ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

MHH reporting that Timmins is expected to sign his ELC soon. Unlikely to play NHL time this season though. He should be a crucial part of his junior team's long playoff run. 

I could see him getting the 9 game tryout later this year

1 hour ago, DJ_Sonne said:

I could see him getting the 9 game tryout later this year

If we're still fighting for a wild card spot I can't. If by some miracle we've essentially got a spot secured, or we come crashing down and are out of the running then chances go up. I also don't know when CHL playoffs end but his team is expected to be there at the end. 

11 hours ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

Guess I should credit BSN. They are mighty upset and insisting MHH lifted their scoop which I wouldn't doubt. 

MHH went so far downhill this would not surprise me one bit. I happily paid for a BSN subscription.

58 minutes ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

If we're still fighting for a wild card spot I can't. If by some miracle we've essentially got a spot secured, or we come crashing down and are out of the running then chances go up. I also don't know when CHL playoffs end but his team is expected to be there at the end. 

I just looked at the standings and wow they are tearing up the OHL. 17 point lead in the overall standings. Methinks they'll be in the Memorial Cup in May long after the Avs season will be over.

23 minutes ago, hockeyavs23 said:

I just looked at the standings and wow they are tearing up the OHL. 17 point lead in the overall standings. Methinks they'll be in the Memorial Cup in May long after the Avs season will be over.

Yeah I wasn't sure when the memorial cup was. Based on that I'd say there's extremely little to no chance he sees the NHL this season. 

4 minutes ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

Yeah I wasn't sure when the memorial cup was. Based on that I'd say there's extremely little to no chance he sees the NHL this season. 

Also reading the article on BSN, it seems as though it's a "futures" contract so by signing him March 1, it is a contract that begins for the 2018-19 season.

Full-Stats-Snipping.jpg

Nice general graph from the article from BSN today. Lots of encouraging stuff.

So we were supposed to score 51 more goals by that graph?

And have let in 68 more than expected?

From the twittersphere:

Nathan MacKinnon: 

20 G
34 A 
54 PTS in 43 GP. 
46 of 54 PTS are primary.
6 GWG (2nd in #NHL)

#Avs

9 hours ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

The most remarkable part of that is the defense. I mean, 4.14 GF/G is pretty solid. But 1.43 GA/G is phenomenal, especially missing our starting goalie. When Varly went down yet again, this team could have used that excuse to roll over like last year. But they did the opposite. Bernier has been pretty good for us, but let's be honest, he's coughing up A LOT of rebounds. If our defense wasn't playing so well, we'd be in much worse shape. And don't think I didn't notice that our defense has been much better defensively since Barrie's injury. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

I know MacKinnon is starting to get some Hart trophy notice, and for good reason. He's clearly our best player. But our most unsung hero has to be Patrik Nemeth. He's leading the team with a +14 despite playing some pretty tough minutes (only 42% offensive zone starts). Landeskog (+13) is the only other player better than MacKinnon's +6. I know +/- can be a deceiving stat, but when you compare him to other guys on the same team, and consider the kind of ice time they are getting, Nemeth has been an absolute beast defensively. Not bad for a waiver claim.

6 minutes ago, Avaholic03 said:

The most remarkable part of that is the defense. I mean, 4.14 GF/G is pretty solid. But 1.43 GA/G is phenomenal, especially missing our starting goalie. When Varly went down yet again, this team could have used that excuse to roll over like last year. But they did the opposite. Bernier has been pretty good for us, but let's be honest, he's coughing up A LOT of rebounds. If our defense wasn't playing so well, we'd be in much worse shape. And don't think I didn't notice that our defense has been much better defensively since Barrie's injury. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

I know MacKinnon is starting to get some Hart trophy notice, and for good reason. He's clearly our best player. But our most unsung hero has to be Patrik Nemeth. He's leading the team with a +14 despite playing some pretty tough minutes (only 42% offensive zone starts). Landeskog (+13) is the only other player better than MacKinnon's +6. I know +/- can be a deceiving stat, but when you compare him to other guys on the same team, and consider the kind of ice time they are getting, Nemeth has been an absolute beast defensively. Not bad for a waiver claim.

Also, check the record with and without Nemeth in the lineup. I believe they showed it during a game a week or two ago and it was night and day.

7 hours ago, 1bauhaus1 said:

And yet were 12th in points. Stupid 3rd points don't make sense.

Better to look at point percentage since we've got games in hand on most teams. The last part of the year is going to be rough though. Lots of games, many on the road where are aren't great. I expect us to cool off quickly in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, Avaholic03 said:

Better to look at point percentage since we've got games in hand on most teams. The last part of the year is going to be rough though. Lots of games, many on the road where are aren't great. I expect us to cool off quickly in the coming weeks.

That's for certain. We have a crazy high number of road games from now through the end of Feb.

Then the last month and a half, it's pretty much a 50/50 split between home and away.

I really hope we don't do what LA is doing right now. Have an 8+ win streak followed by a 5+ losing streak.