Reptoid

Wolski or Schremp?

292 posts in this topic

are you as sick and tired of that as i am of people assuming that holding divergent opinions automatically brands someone as knowing 'nothing'?

Okay, I don't study Schremp extensively, and I'm certainly not a professional scout, but unless you are (and even then), I'd suggest a little less hostile of an attitude.

... once he figures out his size...

I hope they don't wait until the end of the year to whisper "You're big, use your body more" to him like they did with Sauer last season.

are you as sick and tired of that as i am of people assuming that holding divergent opinions automatically brands someone as knowing 'nothing'?

Okay, I don't study Schremp extensively, and I'm certainly not a professional scout, but unless you are (and even then), I'd suggest a little less hostile of an attitude.

You can sit there and bash this guy with almost zero knowledge of him and his game and you expect me to not respond?

With both Wolski and Schremp being from the OHL, I think I am in a better position of knowing the talent levels of both considering I have seen them play.

I have just as much right to insult nearly any player in the world as you have to critique Schremp.

Schremp bloomed later than Wolski did in the OHL, which is why Wolski was picked first.

Both players are going to be stars in the NHL, and for us to argue who will be better is pointless at this stage.

I will say that Schremp can skate... He isn't going to be blazing fast, but saying he only has acceleration is wrong.

He also possesses an amazing wrist shot, and the ability to walk around the other team. Sure, he has a good team around him, but the amount he does by himself needs some credit too. This guy can make something out of nothing.

He's got a good slapshot too and his accuracy is amazing. He picks corners like it is nothing and knows where the goalie will leave a hole.

Sure, his defensive zone coverage leaves a lot to be desired, but that wasn't his role in the OHL and that will be taught in the NHL/AHL.

Personally I think Schremp has more of a future in the NHL than Wolski, especially since size doesn't matter as much.

See now, that was tiny bit more civil (Save for the first bit, with the assumptions that I of all things, sit here as if it were an undignified thing to do on an internet forum.) Reasoned argument as opposed to thinly veiled personal attacks, 'tis the stuff of hockey prognostication.

See now, that was tiny bit more civil (Save for the first bit, with the assumptions that I of all things, sit here as if it were an undignified thing to do on an internet forum.) Reasoned argument as opposed to thinly veiled personal attacks, 'tis the stuff of hockey prognostication.

There were no thinly veiled attacks.

With the simple fact that you are from BC, I doubt you would have much of a chance to see Schremp play.

Being from Ontario I have been able to see both Wolski and Schremp play in the OHL, as well as talk to people that follow their careers much more than I do.

And sitting there for an internet forum is not an undignified thing to do, but bashing someone who you have little knowledge about is. If you were able to make more of a claim or use more evidence than simply that clip shows prove he has fast acceleration but that you consider him to be an average skater, or that his production dropped off after the OHL (which is obvious since OHL stars generally average around 2 points per game).

In his rookie year on the WB Pens he was 4th on the team in scoring, despite only playing in 69 games.

Wolski was a steal in the spot we grabbed him, mostly because of his assault charges, but Schremp was a later bloomer and has shown more skill than Wolski of recently.

The downside to Schremp is his smaller frame, however he is faster.

In the old NHL Wolski would be better than Schremp, mostly due to the extra 4 inches of height, however in the new NHL Schremp's speed cannot be denied as a bigger asset than Wolski's size.

There were no thinly veiled attacks.

With the simple fact that you are from BC, I doubt you would have much of a chance to see Schremp play.

Being from Ontario I have been able to see both Wolski and Schremp play in the OHL, as well as talk to people that follow their careers much more than I do.

And sitting there for an internet forum is not an undignified thing to do, but bashing someone who you have little knowledge about is. If you were able to make more of a claim or use more evidence than simply that clip shows prove he has fast acceleration but that you consider him to be an average skater, or that his production dropped off after the OHL (which is obvious since OHL stars generally average around 2 points per game).

In his rookie year on the WB Pens he was 4th on the team in scoring, despite only playing in 69 games.

Wolski was a steal in the spot we grabbed him, mostly because of his assault charges, but Schremp was a later bloomer and has shown more skill than Wolski of recently.

The downside to Schremp is his smaller frame, however he is faster.

In the old NHL Wolski would be better than Schremp, mostly due to the extra 4 inches of height, however in the new NHL Schremp's speed cannot be denied as a bigger asset than Wolski's size.

ok but he only put 53 points in 69 games where wolski put up 50 points in 76 games in the nhl if schremp was in nhl last season he would have put up 30 points? in 76 games i can only say that as an average but around that

ok but he only put 53 points in 69 games where wolski put up 50 points in 76 games in the nhl if schremp was in nhl last season he would have put up 30 points? in 76 games i can only say that as an average but around that

Ok, so Wolski did 50 in 76 in the NHL

Schremp put up 53 in 69 in the AHL

So your assumption is that Schremp would be putting up 30 in 70 in the NHL?

It depends on a huge variety of factors.

Who he plays with, how much ice time he gets, etc.

With the condition of the Oilers forwards I can see Schremp getting some quality ice time and putting up better rookie numbers than Wolski did.

With the condition of the Oilers forwards I can see Schremp getting some quality ice time and putting up better rookie numbers than Wolski did.

yeah maybe so now... since he had an extra season before going into the nhl then wolski did

Umm, not so much. you have to realize that point production comes from surrounding talent. Yes, he can crack the top 6. However, this means that he will be playing with a sorry lot. He'll get the ice time, but won't have the opportunity to pu up numbers unless all of his points are goals.

Think about it. If he is as good as you predict, every team will try to shut him down, especially on a weak Oil team. If he isn't who cares? I'd be surprised to see him score 35 points.

Umm, not so much. you have to realize that point production comes from surrounding talent. Yes, he can crack the top 6. However, this means that he will be playing with a sorry lot. He'll get the ice time, but won't have the opportunity to pu up numbers unless all of his points are goals.

Think about it. If he is as good as you predict, every team will try to shut him down, especially on a weak Oil team. If he isn't who cares? I'd be surprised to see him score 35 points.

He has the hands and skill to walk around the defenders. His wrist shot is extremely accurate, so he is able to pick a lot of corners.

Also, if the Oil are considered weak then they may be playing more backups than starters, so that increases his chances too.

I bet that he gets more than 35 points, barring any huge injuries.

He'll get 35 in 70.

Wolski is the best offensive player in the OHL lately, he has 24 points in his last 10 games, Schremp has 21.

Wolski had a slow start in the OHL but remember he played 9 games with the Avs before playing Bramton.. It take some time to adjust to the team and playing your best hockey.

I think that Wolski is the best LW in Colorado. He plays good and he should be Colorado player forever

P.S I make mistake?

Schremp is pobably gonna put up more points because at the moment he is more valuable to the team then Wolski was to Colorado last year. Edmonton is gonna be counting on Schremp as there top 2 in scoring. Colorado had better offense to worry about then Wolski last year.

That is correct but it also means that Schremp will be facing the top shut down D pairing while Wolski wasn't always against the best D.

There are pros and cons to all situations.

Why yes, i have.

He's got good acceleration, which is what any highlight clip could show, but his speed and actual skating is average at best.

His defensive game isn't quite up to NHL par, and his production has dropped off quite considerably when he's removed from an environment where he's got great talent around him.

Sure, its still early in his development, and he'll no doubt get a chance to play for the Oilers this year the way things are going, but compared to Wolski, who has an NHL season under his belt and has already 'made it,' he's got miles to go.

Did you see three games at the Memorial Cup or something?

Schremp can skate.

And for those that say Schremp benefitted from his team, I suggest you look at Wolski both before and after the Battalion got Luch Aquino.

I'm sick and tired of these people who know nothing about the players bashing them and making Wolski out to be a god.

I am from London and saw Schremp play quite often (season tickets and all) and I can tell you his team made him much better than he truly was. He is a good hockey player but without a good team around him he isn't nearly the player he looked like in London.

That is correct but it also means that Schremp will be facing the top shut down D pairing while Wolski wasn't always against the best D.

There are also excuses(which you seem to be making a lot for this schremp guy) for every situation. You seemed quite upset when Joesavs when he said schremp will maybe put up around 30, but then someone made a good arguement as to why he wouldnt score much, and you said he would put up around 35. Yes, there are pro's and con's to everything, but there are also facts. Wolski played with Sakic and Brunette, the two highest scorers on this team, and you say Wolski didnt play against the top shut-down lines? I guarantee he didn't play against bad defenders with Sakic and Brunette on the ice.

There are also excuses(which you seem to be making a lot for this schremp guy) for every situation. You seemed quite upset when Joesavs when he said schremp will maybe put up around 30, but then someone made a good arguement as to why he wouldnt score much, and you said he would put up around 35. Yes, there are pro's and con's to everything, but there are also facts. Wolski played with Sakic and Brunette, the two highest scorers on this team, and you say Wolski didnt play against the top shut-down lines? I guarantee he didn't play against bad defenders with Sakic and Brunette on the ice.

Wolski didn't play with Sakic and Bruno all season.

I also bet that Schremp would get at least 35 in 70 games, but in reality I can see him putting up near 50 points (maybe even 60).

Obviously when you're betting you want to bet for something that is more likely to happen. 35 points is more likely than 50, so of course I'd want the bet to be 35 points.

I also bet that Schremp would get at least 35 in 70 games, but in reality I can see him putting up near 50 points (maybe even 60).

Obviously when you're betting you want to bet for something that is more likely to happen. 35 points is more likely than 50, so of course I'd want the bet to be 35 points.

Alright, well Wolski put up 50 in 76 games. Thats with Sakic and Bruno, part-time or not. Who on Edmonton are as good as Sakic or Bruno?

Alright, well Wolski put up 50 in 76 games. Thats with Sakic and Bruno, part-time or not. Who on Edmonton are as good as Sakic or Bruno?

Ummm.....ummmm....it's on the tip of my tongue....ummmm.....nevermind. I'm still baffled by how quickly they fell apart, although they have some prospects.

Ok, you want to make a bet about who will win?

I bet you a siggy/avatar, from the end of regular season to the start of next season (except for BMDM times) that Schremp will get more than 35 points provided he plays at least 70 games.

Ok, you want to make a bet about who will win?

I bet you a siggy/avatar, from the end of regular season to the start of next season (except for BMDM times) that Schremp will get more than 35 points provided he plays at least 70 games.

Well come on.

You apparently don't think he'll do well so why not take the bet?