Lonewolfe2015

Game Day Thread: Dallas Stars @ Colorado Avalanche (11/6/10)

30 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Holiday of the Year?

• Christmas
    • Thanksgiving
    • New Years
    • Valentines Day
    • Easter
    • Independence Day
    • 4-20, cause it's a holiday in my head!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

383 posts in this topic

large.png @ large.png

Saturday, 11/6/2010, 7:00pm MT

StarsatAvalanche-11-06-2010-NHLcom-GamePreviews.png

StarsatAvalanche-11-06-2010-NHLcom-GamePreviews2.png

269090409001_stars_at_avalanche_blog.jpg

2ndLevelHead_preview.jpg

What a roller coaster ride of a season so far for Avalanche fans. We've seen some of the highest scoring games of the season, we've seen hat tricks both ways, we've seen big hits, big saves and lots of high flying games. But we've also seen a lot of mistakes and injuries which have hampered the spirits of this team.

Tonight, the Avs looks to shrug off their last game, or as Sacco said, "Most nights, win or lose, we put up a good effort," he said. "Tonight was a night I think we probably just need to throw the game in a garbage can and get ready for the next one." So with that in mind, we come to expect Sacco to send his guys out hungry for the puck, and hungry to put it back in the net as Thursday was the lowest scoring game of the season for the Avs.

On the Dallas side, things are finally beginning to click for them. Young stars Eriksson, Neal and Benn are playing strong. Richards is leading the team once again in a highscoring fashion, while deadline acquisition Lehtonen has played out of his mind for Dallas. Dallas has taken the G/G lead away from the Avs, but with the Avs coming in at third this is set to be a high scoring matchup. Expect them to come out strong and physical, the main advantage teams have had over our team this year being physicality.

Expected Lineups

For the Avs -

Galiardi - Stastny - Stewart

Yip - Duchene - Hejduk

Winnik - O'Reilly - McLeod

Porter - Dupuis - Van der Gulik

Liles - Shattenkirk

Quincey - Holos

Hannan - Cohen

Budaj in net.

For the Stars -

I have no friggin clue other than Raycroft in net.

Steve+Ott+Colorado+Avalanche+v+Dallas+Stars+2MRtCkn_-oKl.jpg

2ndLevelHead_features.jpg

Who's Hot

Loui Eriksson has 4 goals and 7 points in his last 2 games for Dallas, the young winger has become a real underrated star with Dallas over the past couple seasons and is a big reason for their success.

On the Avalanche side of things, Stewart was on an eight game point streak that was snapped Thursday and has 4 goals in his last 3 games.

Stats to be Aware of

Dallas currently has usurped Colorado for the league's goalscoring title (changes tonight!) and averages 3.42 per game, while the Avs is 3.25.

Dallas and Colorado currently combine at the bottom of the league (aside from the Oilers) for the league's worst PK's (smells like an offensive game guys and gals!)

While the Avalanche have one of the worst faceoffs in the league, we did manage to win 54% of the draws against the Canucks (2nd best faceoff team in the league) which was nearly a 6% increase on our season average.

Injury Report

For the Avs: Rescue_mission_by_CookiemagiK.gif We have currently lost 34 man games worth of injuries, that's over 300% of the season played so far (average is ~400% for the worst team per season - Thanks A03)

Jones is out tonight with a hand injury (DP) While Cumiskey, Mueller and Foote battle concussions on the IR, Koci is healing his jaw and Anderson is 1-2 weeks out with his knee. Wilson is day-day with a leg injury, but will not play tonight.

For the Stars: Not a single one.

Who to Watch

The Avalanche's young defense has to be Stalwart tonight, Kirk, Cohen and Holos (the three finalists for the team during camp) will debut together tonight in hopes that the fans can catch a glimpse of what the future defense will be capable of.

For the Stars it is all about the play of their secondary scoring, they can rely on Eriksson and Richards quite consistently to perform, meanwhile Morrow, Neal, Benn and Riberio playing well will only give them the strength to win.

Dallas+Stars+v+Colorado+Avalanche+PFg8uF-r8Whl.jpg

Avalanche Player Spotlight

One of the least likeliest scenarios to happen to this team in Anderson getting injured, paved the way for one of our former starts, Peter Budaj, to play some games with us. While Budaj has very rarely ever been considered a premiere number one goalie by anyone, he has always been seen as a strong and capable backup and a great team player.

This recent stretch of games has shown Budaj still has what it takes to be a great backup for Andy, playing some very tight games and keeping the Avalanche within an arm's reach of victory, without Budaj's stalwart play, Andy going down could have crippled us.

So for the man behind the Flanders mask, who has given his entire career to the Avalanche, who has some of the best shootout moves in the league and is one of the best teammates out there, we salute you Peter Budaj, and thank you for your years of service and for being an overall great guy.

*Asmo, we need a higher image count in here!

Raycroft is starting for Dallas, Liffton is a healthy scratch!

But great gdt!

I think the boys will bounce back nicely against a tired dallas team, hopefully dallas did all their scoring last night

GO AVS!!!!!

I thought Wilson was going to be decided during warm-ups. Am I wrong? I haven't seen anywhere that Wilson was for sure a scratch tonight.

Sacco also said that defenseman Ryan Wilson, who sat out the Thursday game with a leg injury, would be a "game-time decision" tonight

Read more: Jones out for tonight's Avalanche-Stars game - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_16542659?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter#ixzz14XIsI4JM

I thought Wilson was going to be decided during warm-ups. Am I wrong? I haven't seen anywhere that Wilson was for sure a scratch tonight.

Assumption with Cohen being called up.

A couple small corrections for you:

1. Avs "only" have 34 man-games lost to injury so far. Although after tonight it will be 41 since we've got 7 guys out with injuries right now.

2. Last year we had 347 man-games lost, which is 347/82 = 423%, and I believe we were 2nd worst in the NHL behind only Edmonton.

go avs! the d is getting younger by every game. I hope these guys can come out and do something big with all the injuries :/

YAY it's my birthday here (the 7th of Nov)

*inserts party-smiley <:-)

Happy birthday mate !! :thumbsup:

Hope the Avs bring it home for ya...have a few beers for me buddy !

EDIT: Why are you home watching Avs on the INternet on a Saturday night of your b'day :blink:

Question: What happened to the old rule where whichever was the home team out of the Avs and Nuggets got Altitude, and the away team got Altitude 2? this is the second Avs home game that is on Altitude 2.