#1 Amahl2442

Amahl2442

Pee Wee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North, eh.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

So, as an Avs fan, I thought this would be a good idea. Stream the games directly through my Roku player directly to the TV. Only one problem - I've never been able to watch a live game. Home games? Forget it, blackout restrictions apply. OK then, at least I can watch away games, right? Nope, apparently not. The last few away games I've tried to watch (Phoenix, Minnesota) through this so-called service have come up as "out of market." Crap. OK, well maybe I'll at the very least get to watch the Red Wings and the Rangers play. Nope! Out of market. Sure, I can watch the games two days later, once they've been archived, but is that really worth the price of admission? No.

And I'm locked into this crap for $22/month for the next 8 months! Unbelievable. I tried to cancel as soon as I realized how worthless this was, and got the following reply:

>Unfortunately we are unable to cancel your account at this time. Each subscriber has 5 days to cancel from the day the package was ordered or activated, as agreed upon in the Terms and Conditions. Your activation date was on 12/28/10.

>The day it was purchased counts as one of the 5 days. Your purchase was for the Full Season, but you chose the option to pay it off in "Monthly Installments". We encourage you to take advantage of your purchase and enjoy the rest of this NHL Season. The >installments will stop at the end of the season, once it is paid in full.

>If you have any further questions, please let us know.

>Thank You
>NHL Customer Web Support

Anyone else have the misfortune of falling for this charade? Is there such thing as an "in-market" game? Do they expect me to move to Oklahoma to watch my team play?

I guess I'm screwed, but if I can prevent any more suckers from forking over their hard-earned cash for this garbage, I guess I can glean some sort of satisfaction. Don't believe the hype!

#2 barmishmar

barmishmar

Minors

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

Where exactly are you located? I have NHL GC Live and it's been okay for me. I used to have it through DirecTV, but I tried the online version this year, and frankly it's not too different.

I live in Portland, OR though, so there's probably a reason many of my games aren't blacked out. The only games I can't watch are on national TV, and for those I can usually just find a live feed elsewhere on the internet.

I have heard though that it has been problematic for people in certain areas... for example, if I lived in Denver or something, would the Avs games be blocked out for me on GC Live because I should have Altitude locally?

[Signature]

#3 bestkeeper14

bestkeeper14

Minors

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationLITTLETON, CO

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

I had it last year, only games I couldn't watch were Avs games and games on national TV. I live in Denver, so it makes sense blacking out the local team. THe point of gamecenter is for fans who like a team somewhere else int he country. So for example if I was a New York fan living in Denver, I get gamecenter to watch Ranger games in Denver.

varlysig.jpg

#4 barmishmar

barmishmar

Minors

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

I had it last year, only games I couldn't watch were Avs games and games on national TV. I live in Denver, so it makes sense blacking out the local team. THe point of gamecenter is for fans who like a team somewhere else int he country. So for example if I was a New York fan living in Denver, I get gamecenter to watch Ranger games in Denver.

Yeah, this was my understanding, but it's unfortunate that they don't really explain this very well because I think a lot of people end up with OP's situation. Living in Portland, GC Live has been a godsend.

[Signature]

#5 AvsJen

AvsJen

All Star

• Avs Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,454 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

If it wasn't for GCL I wouldn't see 95% of the Avs games each season. The only time I have trouble is when the Avs game is on TSN2. GCL blacks them out because I would get TSN2 in my area (Nova Scotia, Canada) if I had a dish or even digital cable I believe. I have regular cable so I don't get it.

My one complaint about my GCL is that it's often quite a bit delayed. I'll be a minute behind everyone else in the game. That's not so bad though, I just stay out of the GDTs lol.

#6 Amahl2442

Amahl2442

Pee Wee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

Yeah, I'm in Denver, trying to watch Avs games...wish I'd known about this before signing up!
Maybe I'll defect and become a Rangers fan. :verymad:

#7 Joe_Sakic13

Joe_Sakic13

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

If it wasn't for GCL I wouldn't see 95% of the Avs games each season. The only time I have trouble is when the Avs game is on TSN2. GCL blacks them out because I would get TSN2 in my area (Nova Scotia, Canada) if I had a dish or even digital cable I believe. I have regular cable so I don't get it.

My one complaint about my GCL is that it's often quite a bit delayed. I'll be a minute behind everyone else in the game. That's not so bad though, I just stay out of the GDTs lol.

Haha I make this mistake constantly...

"Goal? Where?!?!"

*2min later*

"Ohhhhhhh"

#8 NazMo

NazMo

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

So, as an Avs fan, I thought this would be a good idea. Stream the games directly through my Roku player directly to the TV. Only one problem - I've never been able to watch a live game. Home games? Forget it, blackout restrictions apply. OK then, at least I can watch away games, right? Nope, apparently not.

Ok, you should have definitely read about the blackout restrictions before you bought it... they make that quite clear.

If it is available on tv within your area, then you can't watch it on GC

10gwlxj.jpg

#9 hockeyavs23

hockeyavs23

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

So, as an Avs fan, I thought this would be a good idea. Stream the games directly through my Roku player directly to the TV. Only one problem - I've never been able to watch a live game. Home games? Forget it, blackout restrictions apply. OK then, at least I can watch away games, right? Nope, apparently not.

Ok, you should have definitely read about the blackout restrictions before you bought it... they make that quite clear.

Actually, in New Mexico, there is no Altitude on TV and GCL blacks out avs games there.

#10 barmishmar

barmishmar

Minors

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Just like hockeyavs says, it tells you about blackouts but does not provide anything close to actual boundary lines. Even those times when NBC has multiple games scheduled and it picks your game for you based on your area, I've had Avs games passed over (yes, this was years ago when the avs were on NBC) for Dal/Det match ups and I'm in Portland in the damn NW!

[Signature]

#11 EZLN

EZLN

Pee Wee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

Proxy? :whistling:
Posted Image

"I support my troops, they wave black flags, and wear black masks."

#12 NazMo

NazMo

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

Actually, in New Mexico, there is no Altitude on TV and GCL blacks out avs games there.

Well then...that does suck.

10gwlxj.jpg

#13 Amahl2442

Amahl2442

Pee Wee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

Uh, if they had included your last statement in their FAQ, yes, it would have been quite clear. But they don't say anything of the sort, just that "blackout rules apply," which to me means, if it's a home game, you can't watch live. As Barmishmar said, boundaries are not given, and that is my main objection, plus the fact that you can't cancel once you've signed up.

#14 NazMo

NazMo

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

Uh, if they had included your last statement in their FAQ, yes, it would have been quite clear. But they don't say anything of the sort, just that "blackout rules apply," which to me means, if it's a home game, you can't watch live. As Barmishmar said, boundaries are not given, and that is my main objection, plus the fact that you can't cancel once you've signed up.

You can cancel within 5 days I think. And Blackout restrictions mean anything that would be on tv in your area, home or away.

Now if you live in an area where the game is not available on tv and it still says blackout...too bad for you.

10gwlxj.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Avs Alert
ColoradoAvalanche.com is the official Web site of the Colorado Avalanche. Colorado Avalanche and ColoradoAvalanche.com are trademarks of Colorado Avalanche, LLC. NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 Colorado Avalanche Hockey Team, Inc. and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.