hejdukrocks

Random Discussion Cafe

9,480 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

Not sure I really agree that banning fighting will somehow reduce head injuries. I'd say the overwhelming majority of concussions in today's version of the sport come from headshot checks, for which banning fighting would do absolutely nothing to curb. 

Ironically fighting helps prevent head injuries in some ways. Players are less likely to be running around careless if they know they'll get punched in the face for a dirty hit.

The real problem is the wide open play since the crack down on holding and interference, and the removal of the two-line pass. It's more exciting for fans, but it also means the average hit happens at higher speeds and more likely to be unexpected.

I don't really know the best plan to curb head injuries without making the game slower and more boring.

13 minutes ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

Historically, probably not. But I think that had much more to do with lagging medical research and the fact we really didn't know much about concussions until somewhat recently rather than intentional negligence on the part of the NHL.

Add into the equation of the players.  playing at a high level most of the players in any league know the tests since they're tested after almost every head shot now and can recite the answers and perform the physical tests by memory/muscle memory.  Just listening to sports radio in denver Al Wilson has admitted to doing it multiple times in the NFL as have other retired players they've had on from the NBA and NHL.

And thats why you have the perception that the league cares about the stars more as well with Crosby and how they kept him out for his safty but a player like say wide man(comes to mind because the ref is sueing) was able to play.  If your fighting for a roster spot your going to do everything you can to stay on the ice/field to keep that paycheck coming for your family.  

Another great example is Joe Thomas:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19249219/cleveland-browns-lineman-joe-thomas-says-experiencing-memory-loss

And why is he okay with dealing with memory loss already?"To be able to live the lifestyle and provide for my family the way that football has been able to do, to me it's a trade-off that I'm willing to accept.""   

And I think that is true for most athletes to play the game they love, and espically for pros with millions on the table for their family. after all making 4 million might sound like alot to us, but consider its expected to cost a millon bucks to send my kid to college for a 4 year degree at a half decent school. and it shows is kids and grand kids really arent "set for life" 

8 minutes ago, Avaholic03 said:

Ironically fighting helps prevent head injuries in some ways. Players are less likely to be running around careless if they know they'll get punched in the face for a dirty hit.

The real problem is the wide open play since the crack down on holding and interference, and the removal of the two-line pass. It's more exciting for fans, but it also means the average hit happens at higher speeds and more likely to be unexpected.

I don't really know the best plan to curb head injuries without making the game slower and more boring.

Allow players to grab and hold going into the boards, you can bring back the "old rules" and still call it tight in open ice.  They didn't chage them after all just told the stripes to get more strict in enforcing them. 

(phoenix  - go ahead and quote the 2 above, curious what A03s thoughts are)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/elizabeth-warren-im-troubled-obamas-400000-wall-street-speaking-fee-204525220.html

I'm not sure why she's troubled.  He's a private citizen, who isn't running for office let him make all he can as long as he is legally.  Now if he was taking donations for time in front of say a POTUS or SecState or something that be different.  But as far as I can tell Obama is out of politics officially for not at least. 

4 hours ago, Avaholic03 said:

Ding, ding, ding.  Nail, meet hammer.

Exactly what I was going to comment.