svatty

<<<...::::::1OO%-FRESHLY-SQUEEZED-NHL-TALK UNLOCKED::::::...>>>

6,124 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, 1bauhaus1 said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-will-nhl-do-if-alex-ovechkin-players-leave-for-2018-olympics-223039789.html

Related. I wonder how many other owners are going to be "cool" like that, and what (if anything) the league will do about it. Kind of strains the roster a bit, since you can't really claim Olympic-bound players on LTIR or anything, so you'd basically be playing with a short bench during that time (basically the same as players missing time for "personal reasons"). 

7 minutes ago, Avaholic03 said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-will-nhl-do-if-alex-ovechkin-players-leave-for-2018-olympics-223039789.html

Related. I wonder how many other owners are going to be "cool" like that, and what (if anything) the league will do about it. Kind of strains the roster a bit, since you can't really claim Olympic-bound players on LTIR or anything, so you'd basically be playing with a short bench during that time (basically the same as players missing time for "personal reasons"). 

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Will the Avalanche organization be ok with Landy, Varly, and MacKinnon leaving if they decide to go?

13 minutes ago, 1bauhaus1 said:

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Will the Avalanche organization be ok with Landy, Varly, and MacKinnon leaving if they decide to go?

Assuming Landeskog and Varlamov are even Avs next year. This offseason will be interesting. But of all the NHL owners, I suspect the Kroenke's are among the least "cool" as far as letting their players represent their countries in the Olympics. I suspect they'd use the "we aren't paying you to play for another team" line (despite the fact that they are paying McLeod and Iginla to do exactly that...and in fact paying them to play AGAINST us). 

Here's a happy story: Clarke MacArthur will play in his first game since Oct. 14, 2015. He missed 18 months due to concussions. Could provide a boost for the Sens.

At this point is it worth it?

I wish him the best. Tough for guys like Hishon and Mueller and others to get back in once out for so long.

13 hours ago, 1bauhaus1 said:

I wish him the best. Tough for guys like Hishon and Mueller and others to get back in once out for so long.

Money wise I'm sure it is,  Insurance wise as well.    If he retires he's giving up close to 15 mil in salary, his insurance and any care he needs going forward.  

14 hours ago, 1bauhaus1 said:

The reeling Sens got a huge win last night and virtually clinched a playoff spot. Maybe they needed that emotional boost after suffering so many injuries down the stretch and maybe they were feeling sorry for themselves. You never know what will provide that spark. 

Yeah, good story for him.  I wish him nothing but health and success in his come-back!  Always though MacArthur was a classy player.

So the Kings fired GM Lombardi and Coach Sutter and promoted Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille to run the team. Did they not see what a train wreck the Avs have been under Roy and Sakic? I guess they're hoping those ex-players will be more like Yzerman in the front office. Best of luck. They sure have a lot of bloated contracts to deal with. If they can find a way to dump Brown and maybe Gaborik and not overpay Taffoli, they might get things back on track.

2 hours ago, Avaholic03 said:

So the Kings fired GM Lombardi and Coach Sutter and promoted Rob Blake and Luc Robitaille to run the team. Did they not see what a train wreck the Avs have been under Roy and Sakic? I guess they're hoping those ex-players will be more like Yzerman in the front office. Best of luck. They sure have a lot of bloated contracts to deal with. If they can find a way to dump Brown and maybe Gaborik and not overpay Taffoli, they might get things back on track.

It was said Lombardi got a little too close to the players and that is how bad contracts ending up happening.  As for Sutter I would love to have him as a coach because he seems very much like the no nonsense type of coach.

Gerard Gallant week be the first coach of the Golden Knights. 

Still a stupid name. 

10 hours ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

Gerard Gallant week be the first coach of the Golden Knights. 

Still a stupid name. 

And a stupid decision, considering Darryl Sutter became available. I'm not saying Gallant is bad...just not the best option. 

Still, better than the Stars pulling Hitchcock out of retirement. Considering his age and health, I'm not entirely sure he'll survive another season behind the bench.

2 minutes ago, Avaholic03 said:

And a stupid decision, considering Darryl Sutter became available. I'm not saying Gallant is bad...just not the best option. 

Still, better than the Stars pulling Hitchcock out of retirement. Considering his age and health, I'm not entirely sure he'll survive another season behind the bench.

Lindy Ruff was also available.

10 minutes ago, PhoenixAvsFan said:

Lindy Ruff was also available.

Yeah, I'm less impressed by him after his time in Dallas. He never did get their defense and goaltending sorted out. I really liked what he did in Buffalo, but that was several years ago. 

15 minutes ago, Avaholic03 said:

Yeah, I'm less impressed by him after his time in Dallas. He never did get their defense and goaltending sorted out. I really liked what he did in Buffalo, but that was several years ago. 

How much of that was on him? Did he have much say in the team he was given? 

1 minute ago, grizzlygoalie said:

How much of that was on him? Did he have much say in the team he was given? 

No, he can't control all roster decisions, but he can make the best of the roster given to him. He had two (some would argue #1) goalies in Lehtonen and Niemi, and neither one did particularly well. He went through a bunch of defensemen and never found a group that worked. Kris Russell was dismal in Dallas and then looked much improved in Edmonton of all places. I just didn't see Dallas' system giving their defense much chance for success. They seemed to put all their eggs in the basket of "let's out-score the other team". They had tons of talented forwards, but still couldn't sustain any success.

Sabres fired GM Murray and coach Bylsma. Rumor was Eichel didn't like Bylsma and wouldn't sign if he was still coach. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere...his agent denied making an ultimatum. Still, it's nice to see other teams in disarray besides the Avs. Misery loves company right? 

3 minutes ago, Avaholic03 said:

Sabres fired GM Murray and coach Bylsma. Rumor was Eichel didn't like Bylsma and wouldn't sign if he was still coach. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere...his agent denied making an ultimatum. Still, it's nice to see other teams in disarray besides the Avs. Misery loves company right? 

I would dare to say the place where the Avs are is still pretty lonely... let's not mention that the Sabers have nearly 2x as many points as we did this season.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/20/florida-to-interview-ncaa-champ-montgomery-for-head-coaching-gig/

Looks like Monty might be gone from DU.

I don't remember but did Gwozdecky ever interview?  Hell maybe he comes back if its different admin(i have no idea about either)  If Monty does leave thats alot of uncertainty for a program that is up there. and where you get players for 5 years max and have to recruit could be a pretty big fall.  

40 minutes ago, grizzlygoalie said:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/20/florida-to-interview-ncaa-champ-montgomery-for-head-coaching-gig/

Looks like Monty might be gone from DU.

I don't remember but did Gwozdecky ever interview?  Hell maybe he comes back if its different admin(i have no idea about either)  If Monty does leave thats alot of uncertainty for a program that is up there. and where you get players for 5 years max and have to recruit could be a pretty big fall.  

Just because they interview him doesn't mean he'll be hired. But Montgomery has impressed me at DU so far. I was very skeptical after Gwozdecky was fired (and I doubt he'd be willing to come back now...he's 63 years old and seemed pretty okay with retirement), but Montgomery came in and made the program his own. He's actually got a fair number of returning players next year, so we'll see if that's enough to keep him in Denver to try for the repeat. 

46 minutes ago, Avaholic03 said:

Just because they interview him doesn't mean he'll be hired. But Montgomery has impressed me at DU so far. I was very skeptical after Gwozdecky was fired (and I doubt he'd be willing to come back now...he's 63 years old and seemed pretty okay with retirement), but Montgomery came in and made the program his own. He's actually got a fair number of returning players next year, so we'll see if that's enough to keep him in Denver to try for the repeat. 

Very true, and i don't even think its 50/50 they hire him to be a head man(although he has worked with a few prospects of theirs) just more of a what does DU do if this happens? they surely have to have some sort of plan B in the wings? any NHL assistants be inserted in a NCAA head job? 

IMO this is the Colorado Job Roy should have looked into he'd be good with young players with a high turn over league wide in players where a system doesn't have to be reinvented every year or 2 to not be figured out fully