Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Avaholic03

USWNT gets 4 year deal

5 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how many people have been following the fight the US women's national team has been having with USA Hockey. But after holding out, they were able to secure a 4-year deal that gives them fair pay (details here). It's kind of sad that they had to fight so hard, despite winning 6 of the last 7 world championships (not to mention a gold, 3 silvers, and a bronze since women's hockey was added to the Olympics). I'm not sure what else they have to do to earn respect. At least they aren't getting embarrassed like the men's team at WCOH this year.

On 3/29/2017 at 7:43 AM, Avaholic03 said:

I'm not sure how many people have been following the fight the US women's national team has been having with USA Hockey. But after holding out, they were able to secure a 4-year deal that gives them fair pay (details here). It's kind of sad that they had to fight so hard, despite winning 6 of the last 7 world championships (not to mention a gold, 3 silvers, and a bronze since women's hockey was added to the Olympics). I'm not sure what else they have to do to earn respect. At least they aren't getting embarrassed like the men's team at WCOH this year.

Its all about revenue.  They don't bring in half the $ that the men do.  It just like why the Womens team was cut at UND.  it sucks (I love watching the women's game the older i get) but its simple economics. title IX only can do so much when 95% of sports lose money at the collegiate level.  and other then the few "big schools" ie uconn, Tenn, Duke womens sports lose money and need the mens sports to survive.  until that changes its always going to be a uphill battle for them

And tonight the US made good, beating Canada in OT for another world championship. Now they just have to figure out how to beat them in the Olympics.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:38 PM, Avaholic03 said:

And tonight the US made good, beating Canada in OT for another world championship. Now they just have to figure out how to beat them in the Olympics.

Thats the Key.  world championships really don't mean as much in the US as say Europe.  

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0